Monday, January 18, 2010

Distressed Dahlia - Tutorial

Good Morning!

Not only do I have a scrapbook page to share but a bit of a tutorial as well. I'm almost finished Adam & Steph's wedding album. Down to just three more pages.

These two pages are featuring some of the stuff that went on "Behind The Scenes". Food preparation for the wedding and transforming the hall from a community room to a place for a wedding reception. To all of those who helped with the task my heartfelt thank you.

The photographs are not the best but I worked with what I had. Our photographer Stuart wasn't around for these and nobody wanted to stop and pose for me! It's so hard to get co-opertive help! lol Just kidding!

The layout design was inspired from PageMaps - May 2008. Of course I tweaked it a little. The scallop borders using Stampin' Up's border punch. The branch from Cricut - Zoobaloo, the love birds - Wedding, title - Lyrical Letters cartridge. Cardstock Stampin' Up and pattern paper - Costco. They matched pretty good. Spellbinders for the flower and circles.






The flower image is the Dahlia from Spellbinders. For the scrapbook page I used the four smallest flowers. This technique could be used with any punches or flowers cut from your cricut in various sizes.          



Next I distressed the edges of the flower with the edge distresser. No fear if you don't have one. Roughing up the edges with your fingernails works fine too. Takes a little longer!




I used my Tim Holtz ink blender and SU ink to color the edges of the cardstock.



Now grab that flower and crumple it up. Yes, I mean crumple it up. When you're finished rolling it into a ball and pinching it open it up. You know if you've done it enough cause the paper will almost feel like suede. If you overdo it your cardstock may start to separate. That's okay...you can always glue those edges together or you might like the look.


You'll notice how I only applied the ink to the raised up areas. Don't try to get uniform coverage.


Give this a try and let me know what you think. Between a couple of the layers I also used dimensionals for more depth.



Hope you enjoyed todays tutorial.

See you tomorrow!

Yvonne

2 comments:

featheredheaven said...

Hi Yvonne, This page is a wonderful idea! I also love that you walked us through the flower technique! I'm still learning about alot of things. I'm waiting to have my new room set up so that I can get started on scrapbooking/card making!
The techniques is wonderful, and so is the page idea. Wish someone would have thought of that when we got married...behind the scene pix.
I plan to do an album of our wedding on of these days. I even got a scanner ( something else I need to learn how to do) for christmas so that I don't accidentally ruin the orignals.
Thanks Yvonne

Deborah March said...

YUMMY Yvinne! Thanks for the tutorial. Missing you at our crafty nights, but I know the commute from Houston to Halifax can be a killer . But you're missing wee Xavier 'eh?