Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Candle

Hello There Crafters,
Here we are back for another week of crafty fun. There were lots of great cards last weekat Creative Critterz Imagination and this week I'm sure you're going to see a real variety of projects as our project can be anything but MUST include the colors: purple, green, orange, black.

I used Happy Hauntings and my Imagine to decorate the candle. I didn't get the video made but have included lots of pictures so hopefully you will be able to give it a try.
The candle just a regular 6" pillar from the Dollar Store. Printed my images onto tissue paper using the Imagine and then melted the tissue paper into the candle with a heat gun.
I used the Cricut Craftroom to color and layer my images. You will notice I have it set to print only and all layers on one page.
Take tissue paper and iron it to remove wrinkles. Also choose tissue paper that is the same or close to the same color as the candle. Try to have a mat that isn't too sticky or you won't be able to lift the tissue paper off after you have printed on it.
Remember I only printed and did not cut the images.
Cut out the images by hand. Notice I left a border around the images.
Use a small amount of 2-way glue on the back of the image so it will stick to the candle. Only needs to be enough for the image to stay in place.
Next take a piece of wax paper and wrap it TIGHTLY around your candle and tape in place.
Using your heat tool direct the heat towards the images. It's doesn't take long to melt the printed image into the candle. You will actually see the tissue paper disappear. As soon as that happens stop heating the image. It will not take long. Once you've heated all of the images remove the wax paper and discard. Don't try and use the same piece more than once.
If you don't have an Imagine you can also stamp your images on the tissue paper and it will work the same way.
Click here for a video tutorial. It features stamping but the steps are the same.
Once the candle burns a hole down into the centre you might want to put a tea light into it. It will reduce the fire hazard and also save your beautiful candle.

I'll also be entering this in the Cricut Circut Weekly Challenge.
Enjoy your day!
Yvonne

3 comments:

marlene said...

What a neat idea, looks great.

Anonymous said...

Nice job, I haven't done this technique I think since I did it with you back on Mountain View Dr.
Have a great day!
Sherry

OCCricut said...

This is AWESOME!!! Thanks for the tutorial!